Shadyside offers something for everyone, seriously. It has beautifully restored Victorian mansions and swanky apartments; the convenience of national retail stores such as The Gap and Apple are located adjacent to unique locally owned shops; every type of food and cuisine is accounted for as seen in the plethora of restaurants and trendy eateries.
Shadyside is centrally located, close to Oakland, Bloomfield, Squirrel Hill, and East Liberty. Within a very short walk from my apartment I have access to: Whole Foods, Borders, Trader Joe’s, a premium wine and liquor distributor, coffee shops, and a real Japanese market.
From upscale to casual, on Ellsworth alone you’ll find all kinds of good bars and restaurants. My personal favorite is the Elbow Room, which is cheap and comfortable. Try the meatloaf sandwich—trust me.
Rent may be bit higher than other neighborhoods in Pittsburgh, but with living in Shadyside you get an awesome location within walking distance to anything you could possibly need: food, libraries, gyms, restaurants, bars, dancing, places of all types of worship, and more. Also, houses and apartments in Shadyside tend to be more maintained and up to date than what you might find in Oakland.
If you are not sure what type of neighborhood you want, quiet or bustling, family or students, Shadyside could definitely be the place for you since it offers a little bit of everything.
- 5801 Video Lounge and Cafe (Self described as welcoming "all walks of life" and LBGT loving, they offer great specials and display music videos on giant screens Bagel Factory
- Bites and Brews
- Casbah (Worth the spurge)
- Cappy's Cafe
- Coffee Tree Roasters
- Harris Grill
- La Feria (Daily vegetarian and meat specials from Peruvian and Latin American recipes)
- Mercurio's (Some of the best gelato outside of Italy)
- Noodle Head (If you couldn't tell from the name, GREAT noodles)
- Pizza Perfecta
- Shady Grove
- Stack'd Burgers and Beer
- Steel Cactus
- Thai Place Pittsburgh
Eons (Vintage clothing)
- Tokyo Japanese Food Store
- Whole Foods
- Check out all the many shops on Walnut Street like J.Crew, Sephora, Apple and many many more here
- Art Festivals
- Pittsburgh Centre for the Arts
- Summer Jams
Health and Wellness
- Amazing Yoga (Student rates available)
- Club One (Student rates available)
- Fitness Factory
- Shadyside Spin
- Urban Active
- X Shadyside Fitness (24 hour club; student rates available)
Average rents graduate students pay:
- Studio: $560, avg. utilities: $35
- 1BR: $650, avg. utilities: $80
- 2BR: $915, avg. utilities: $90
Bus routes between Shadyside and Oakland:
- 71C, 71D, 500